Monday, January 2, 2012

Installing a new top on a formerly marble top eastlake dresser

I bought this eastlake dresser for 10.00 at a yard sale 3 years ago or so and have been using it for storage.

.
My entire Victorian home has been going through renovation restoration and a combination of both. As I work through an area I try to use the same materials in as many places as possible. It takes time for plaster to dry and harden so working on several sections of several rooms at the same time seem to get the biggest overall results.

While I am working in a room unless I have nothing to replace a piece of furniture I am eliminating problems I have with existing furniture and restoring pieces in need of immediate attention.


This dresser is a prime example made around 1890 it is well built and solid walnut several different species it is a really nice piece of furniture. but a new piece of 3/4 inch thick marble is expensive instead I will do a simple fix that will make it more efficient complete and look better.


The first step is to measure the top make sure you leave a 1/2-3/4 inch or so overhang so the piece looks correct. After taking my measurements I go to the table saw and rip the end of one or two pieces of pine to get a good clean joint line that covers the table correctly, then I turn the boards tape them together raise the blade and again cut twice to make sure I will have a clean line on the edge of the top where they are even.




After routing the whole top I use sandpaper to clean up the edges hit the top with 220 grit paper to clean up the rough spots and then go over it again with 400 grit to take finish better. I decided on red mahogany finish to give the top a redder color. I apply several coats of finish with a old sock discarding it after each use. Depending on the finish you want the finish to be darker than the piece you are matching for best results as some of the finish will likely wipe off if you are using a rub on finish like the mcluskies I am using.
I check the top against the dresser to make sure everything looks like its going to line up well I remove the tape line the top up square with the back and even on both sides with a tape measure tacking all the corners of the boards with small finish nails paying close attention to the gap between the two boards.


I set up my router with a Gard flush with the center of the bit and the bit flush with the bottom of the router this is a simple og style bit it makes a quick clean corner for the top of any piece of furniture. The router has a ball bearing piston on the tip which is designed to prevent the router from cutting too deep into the board but I find the guard helps guide the router more evenly when used together.


I use a number of different finishes for a number of different results. I usually strip the entire piece before to make sure everything else matches but do not have an enormous piece of walnut or black walnut lumber so this is piece work and I actually like the look of the old finish so I will end up washing the rest of the case with murphies oil soap and warm water. I use a tooth brush to clean detailed areas and tight corners. I also hit several of the scratches with the same red mahogany finish which showed an instant improvement.

Tools and Materials needed
Two wide pine boards long enough and wide enough to do the job.
Pencil
Tape measure
Table saw
router
OG 1/2-3/4 bit
400 grit sheet sand paper folded into quarters
orbital sander prefered for cleaning up top fast with 220 grit sand paper
Chosen color stain
Shelac or poly for 3 coat finish sanding with 400 grit between coats lightly

No comments:

Post a Comment